Brownian thought space

Cognitive science, mostly, but more a sometimes structured random walk about things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rochester, United States

Chronically curious モ..

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The infinite power of language (PG17)

The Park Bench Back Alley Bar off Park Ave is a great place to hang out for it's nice mix of peoples. And the occasional wacky piece of conversation: Guy 1: So do you speak other languages? Guy 2: Yeah, Hebrew. Guy 1: So say something in Hebrew. Guy 2: Like what? Guy 1: Say "come sit on my lap and do me a dance" Guy 2: ... Guy 1: Can't you translate that? Guy 2: We don't say such things. Guy 1: Weird. In English, I can say pretty much anything that I can think of, even if I've never said it before. Folk psychology, at least of the gentle folk of the Park Bench Back Alley Bar, would appear to support a very algebraic, mentalistic version of the language faculty :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sachin Garg said...

left me confused as to which part is serious and which is funny..
nice thought though!

September 27, 2007 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home